Due to COVID-19, TSI has recently received a lot of questions from customers about how to properly clean and disinfect an electronic mobile device. Here are a few guidelines, along with cleaning and disinfecting instructions for your electronic equipment.
- Do not pour or spray any kind of cleaning or disinfecting solution directly on a unit.
- Do not scrub the unit with any type of abrasive cloth or brush.
- Never use bleach, hydrogen peroxide, thinner, trichloroethylene, or ketone-based solvents as they can deteriorate plastic and rubber.
- Refrain from vigorously rubbing with a dry towel or similar actions.
Cleaning & Disinfecting
There is a difference between cleaning and disinfecting a device.
Cleaning simply refers to the removal of germs, dirt, and other grime from surfaces. It can be helpful in keeping devices clean and functional, but it will not kill germs or viruses. Cleaning will reduce the number of germs in order to lower the risk of infection, but virus protection is not guaranteed.
Disinfecting is a process that uses chemicals to kill germs. Although disinfecting does not 100% guarantee protection from viruses, it does greatly reduce the risk.
In order to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19, the CDC recommends that hard surfaces and devices be cleaned AND disinfected frequently using household cleaners and EPA-registered disinfectants.
Below are specific instructions on how to properly clean and disinfect your electronic equipment:
- Turn off your device.
- Unplug it from the power source.
- Clean it using a lightly water-dampened, clean microfiber cloth. One or two drops of pH-neutral, non-scrubbing soap may be used.
- To disinfect, use an alcohol-based wipe or cleaner (approximately 70 – 90% strength isopropyl alcohol) applied to a microfiber cloth and apply gently.
- Once completely dry, reconnect it to power and power up.